Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One Day

Finished a terrific book last night: "One Day" by David Nicholls. I read a lot of books and there are very few actually make me wish I had been the one to think up the story and write it so well. This book made me jealous of David Nicholls.

Simple plot -- a love story about two best friends from college and how their lives and potential romance play out over the next 20 years. The clever part is that the story checks in on them only once a year, always on the same date. Well done and difficult to put down.

Here's the review that convinced me to pick it up:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/david-nicholls-one-day,43374/

This book made me laugh and it also made me cry.

Only other books to make me cry? "Cold Mountain", "Persuasion", and "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius".

FYI: The last book that made me jealous of the author was "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" by Marisha Pessl.

No comments:

Post a Comment