Sunday, June 19, 2011

CR Review #20: I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

I remember reading a few previous reviews of this from other cannonballers...nobody was terribly excited about the book, yet nobody thought it was all that bad. It was simply ok. I decided to give it a try anyway, I saw it as an available swap on swap.com and thought the premise was worth giving it a go.

I'd Know You Anywhere is the story of Eliza (who used to be Elizabeth), a married, stay-at-home mom of two kids living in the Washington DC suburbs. Her life is pretty normal, until one day she gets a letter in the mail from a man named Walter, and everything in her life starts to change.

Walter is a man on death row who kidnapped and raped Eliza when she was 15 years old and held her captive for 6 weeks. Walter was also convicted of killing at least one other girl (but the reader knows it was actually a lot more than one), and attempting to rape several others. His death sentence is approaching and he reaches out to Eliza to finally apologize to her, but also to see if he can manipulate her into helping him get a stay of execution by bringing new details from the case out into the open.

Sadly, my fellow cannonballers were right. Although there are times when I really wanted to like this book a lot (her descriptions of what it is like to be a stay-at-home mom in DC are spot-on! -- I would have liked to read a book all about that aspect of her life), the story of her kidnapping and Walter's sudden appearance in her life simply weren't that interesting to me. Putting it back on the list for swap.com and sending it back out into the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment